2007-11-02

Symphony Orchestra

Well the practice has paid off somewhat. This week I got to sit in on a local Community Symphony Orchestra rehearsal. They were a pretty good orchestra!! We practiced Smetana's "Moldau" (or "Vltava" in Czech - from "Ma Vlast") and Tchaikovsky's "Capriccio Italien" for their upcoming concert. Great tuba parts in those two pieces and, although I say it myself, I thought I played pretty well and the new tuba sounded awesome - just filling the hall with beautiful sound when needed, and blending well with the rest of the brass in the quieter sections. This was my first time playing in a symphony orchestra for 30 years - I miss it. My old B&H EEb wouldn't have been anywhere near so good with this crowd - I just couldn't get anywhere near the same tone from it. Hopefully I might get to play with them again although they do have a university student who has helped them out on an "on call" basis so rightly they feel they need to ask if she is willing to be a regular member of the orchestra first. I shall just have to wait and see.

No comments: