2007-08-03

Getting Lessons

Had a chance to blow on it a bit now. Man can this thing make sound. After 30+ years of being self taught I've decided that now is the time to take some lessons if I am to do this instrument anything close to justice so I found a local professional player and have set up an initial schedule with him. Need a couple of scales (2 octaves) and "something lyrical" for the first lesson (so I wrote out "The Ash Grove" in F - covers an octave and a third, has some sluring - should do as a start). I guess that will expose all the area I need to work on - I think I know some of them but some experienced insight will be invaluable.

Got to get out of the habit of those Eb fingerings, especially above Bb!!

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to have my first lesson until after Labour Day because of all the other stuff I have going on this month. Still - it gives me time to practice a bit.

I'll try and get some photos of the detailed bits - figuring out what to pull when is interesting - I think the 4th valve tuning slide might get some action with this fella.

No comments: